It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 pm

Post subject: Teamspeak 3 server v2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:03 pm 

Grunt
Toons: Naad

Why are we switching all of a sudden ? If we are why is it Team Speak ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:46 pm 

Officer
Toons: Kaligaran

Vent isn't free. Spir pays for it monthly.

TS3 IMO is actually superior to Vent. It has way more options, is more modern, customizable and has plenty of features that vent does not.
Spir mentioned to me that Vent app hasn't been updated in almost 10 years. That says a lot.

Also the codecs on TS3 sound so much better. Everyone sounds 'normal'. Those of you that I have met IRL actually sound like you really do in TS3 compared to vent.

TS3 is auto normalized out of the box.

TS3 has a built in chat channel that auto shows up at the bottom. in vent, you have to click the 'chat' button and open up a new window which no one uses. This is auto built in to TS3's window which is really nice.

TS3 is hosted with our website on our own server.

And the best feature ever: a admin can set themselves to be a 'priority speaker' so when they speak, the people in the channel can hear them only but the priority speaker can still hear everyone else talking. Which will be great for raiding.

After using TS3 in pugs and also playing with it last night, I will say that I can't believe that we've been using vent for so long. Last night Volgna, Symbah, Rain, Fear, Aletsian, Crofael and myself went into TS3 and played with it for a couple of hours. From the feedback I got, everyone was much happier with it. Danaaru came in there too, but you know him, he doesn't talk.

Given all of this I'll ask, why wouldn't we switch. :)

ImageImage

"WoW is all free candy and cookies and cute little pets...and then Kali yelling for hours. Same as it ever was, but with more crazy orcs." - Spirulina 3/15/15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:52 pm 
Peon
Toons: Night/Pirotess

"And the best feature ever: a admin can set themselves to be a 'priority speaker' so when they speak, the people in the channel can hear them only but the priority speaker can still hear everyone else talking. Which will be great for raiding."

Life is a test. Death is only the beginning.

Officer

Oh I missed your other question: "why TS3".

Some other options are Mumble, Raid Call, Skype and likely some smaller ones that I'm less familiar with.
If you go through raid finder (for example) you'll typically see TS3 more than Mumble and Vent. Even though Mumble is also 'free'. Which leads me to believe that TS3 is becoming increasingly more popular than Mumble for the reasons stated above. But I have no numbers to back this up with.

Personally I prefer TS3 over Mumble. But that's just my opinion. I would love to hear others.

Do you prefer a different voice software?

ImageImage

"WoW is all free candy and cookies and cute little pets...and then Kali yelling for hours. Same as it ever was, but with more crazy orcs." - Spirulina 3/15/15

Grunt
Toons: Volgna

Vent has not been updated in YEARS and it really shows.

I used TeamSpeak for a long time and I for one am really excited. Its been optimized and had so many fixes over the years. It's lighter on resources and bandwidth... sounds better... Also allows for so much more functionality (groups, chat, etc)

Also there is much more third party support to fix any issues you have (least that I have found)

Where vent... you just have Vent. I have used Vent for over 10 years and its exactly the same as when I first used it. Actually, I didn't realize how bad Vent was until we were using TeamSpeak last night... I could actually tell the difference between Rain and Uni's voice... I heard not obnoxious static, and Kali sounds like Kali IRL (which is a negative)

Now this is all just my opinion.

Now I really cannot think of any options that are better. I hate mumble with a passion (it actively fucks up 2 of my computers)... and Skye is great on a smaller scale.

-V

Praise unto Kali :pray:

Last edited by volgna on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:55 pm 

Officer

Soryu wrote:
"And the best feature ever: a admin can set themselves to be a 'priority speaker' so when they speak, the people in the channel can hear them only but the priority speaker can still hear everyone else talking. Which will be great for raiding."

Hey, when you raid with Symbah, that's a big deal! :D

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:26 pm 

Grunt
Toons: Naad

I was just going to add Ive heard good things about Razer Comms to but never had a chance to use it but team speak sounds fine to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:18 pm 

Officer

I've never heard of Razer Comms. I'll have to look into that. :D

We were trying to stay in line with the more common ones for our game and most WoW groups seem to use Vent, Mumble or TS3. A very small minority use Raid Call (mostly guilds outside of the US from my experience).

TS3 is in the testing phase for us. We'll be using it with our full 20 on Sunday (I am gonna tell everyone tomorrow to go download it and do a test just to make sure it's setup).
If everything goes well, it's on Spir to make the move. It's her server and her vent so I'm not gonna step on her toes on that matter.

Vent has also been sketchy for us lately with lots of drops and high pings. Spir had moved us from Chicago to Kansas server to help fix the issues but they seem to be starting up again.

I hope you all give feedback on TS3 after we've used it in the group. We want to hear from everyone!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:40 pm 
Peon

I've used TS3 for years and it is far superior to Ventrilo in the server management aspect as well as the voip quality. I think everyone will find it much easier to use than Vent!

I've also used Mumbles and, while the overlay is nice, I didn't care for the operation or the management of it.