It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:55 pm 
Peon

For your listening enjoyment, I've thought it would be helpful to make a post about vent normalizing for anyone who isn't already doing it. So here's something I "borrowed" from elsewhere on the internet.

Quote:
Instead of haveing to add volume controls to each individual this will automatically fix most of your problems in one step,sometimes after adding this as a general function you will have to add it to a specific person(there were 3 people in the guild I still couldnt hear ,but adding compressor again and a volume control fixed it) Its not perfect but it streamlines the process.

Vent Normalization makes every bodies voice the exact same volume. In essence, you won't blow your ear's out or have difficulty hearing people.

Here's how:

- Go to Setup

- Enable Direct Sound

- Select the SFX Button

- Select Compressor and click Add.

- Under Compressor Properties use the following settings

- Gain = Adjust for how loud you want people to be. (I use 15)

- Attack = 0.01

- Release = Around 500

- Threshold = Around -30

- Ratio = 100

- Pre delay = 4.0

Edit:

What the settings do - Copied and pasted from page 8

Gain
How much volume you feed into the compressor. Not really relevant unless everyone is too quiet, then you can turn this up a little; turning it up too much will sound EXTREMELY *%*%ty.

Attack
How fast volume change will happen. example: setting this to 500 means that any-
thing coming in will only be dropped in volume after a half a second. for vent this should
be set as low as possible.

Release
how fast the compressor stops changing things. not really that relevant with vent, setting it around 500 is good for voice material.

Threshold
This sets the point where we actually start changing what�s coming in. Whereas 0 is the absolute loudest you can have for an input, -60 is super quiet. Average users will probably come in somewhere around -25 to -15, with the occaisional few being really quiet, which is why I have this set so low.

Ratio
How much any sound below the set threshold gets compressed and/or modified in the volume department.
If you still want to hear SOME volume variation then set this lower (2-4)... the higher you set it the closer in volume everyone will be.

Pre delay
Mostly just deals with processing; with computer and digital processors they can look ahead a few milliseconds to see what needs to be dropped in volume or changed before it actually comes through the speakers. Highest is ideal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:05 pm 
Peon

I can confirm that this works very well...I have used it for a long time now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:26 pm 

Officer
Toons: Kaligaran

I tried this in the past (Matahari has sworn by this for years) but it didn't work. I never tried it again. By didn't work, I mean it just didn't do anything.

Has anyone ever had any problems doing this and if so, what was the fix?

ImageImage

"WoW is all free candy and cookies and cute little pets...and then Kali yelling for hours. Same as it ever was, but with more crazy orcs." - Spirulina 3/15/15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:30 pm 
Peon

Idk, maybe something with version/configuration of you Direct Sound?

Image Image