It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:33 pm

Post subject: *scratches head*
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:39 pm 

Peon

So...hmm.
I wonder if someone has an answer for this...

I recently switched video cards...I went from an Nvidia to an ATI (bad choice perhaps..yeah yeah lol) I can't remember what the Nvidia was atm, but the one I replaced it with was a Radeon 2600 Pro 512MB. This is the card...now, I'm kicking myself in the ass repeatedly for not doing my homework...but at the same time, I got this in best buy, not online.
I replaced my old Nvidia because the fan stopped working on it, and my box wouldn't start up for shit.

The thing is that the card works fine. Except with playing most games. Everything looks beautiful and dandy, but I have horrible input lag. For instance, I'd be typing a whisper to a friend, and I am a fast typer...but by the time I am done typing, I have to wait like 3-4 seconds after....it looks as if I was typing the letters one by one which is annoying as hell. If I am moving around with the keyboard the character can get stuck moving in the same direction after I have released the key.

The same thing happens while paying UT, DooM 3, Jericho...Hellgate London is the only game that runs completely flawless though, lol. So...that doesn't really make sense to me. A friend told me it could be the monitor...since I have to use the DIV adapter (monitor's on a VGA connector.)

...can anyone make anything out of this? -_- I'd hate to buy a new card in such short time. Thanks in advance. :]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:16 am 

Blademaster

You already know your problem. It's an ATI, not an nVidia, and it's a low-mid range ATI at that. Your problem isn't the VGA-DVI converter. Your monitor refresh rate may have something to do with type showing up late, but the bottom line is your performance and graphics will suffer with that card you chose. Pound for pound, an nVidia Geforce 7 or up will kill any Radeon. If you can't afford $500 on a card, there are still good cheap options out there, like the nvidia geforce 7 AGPslot on the left on link you had in your post (which is cheaper and will be better). There's always been a knock on nVidia fans, but the main problem is that they attach them with god-awful adhesive. Also, it would be better to get a PCI-e graphics card instead of an AGP, if your motherboard will take that. I would try to exchange that card at bestbuy for an nvidia geforce 7 series... it's an old series, but it'll do for the price range.

Achievement Earned! Attend a guild party in real life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:54 am 

Peon

Yeah, I thought that's what I was going to have to do.

My motherboard won't take the PCIe though; this motherboard came out around the time WoW was still kinda new, lol. >____>

I saw today an Nvidia 7600 GS for like, $115 and thought about it....but I wanted to come home and check the receipt on the card to see if I am able to return it. Turns out it's still within the 30 days, so I believe I can. The question is will they do it. So now that I got home, I have to get dressed again and go...lol. Thanks man.

Good to see you again. <3